Valentine’s Day is coming up, and what better way to celebrate than watching Fifty Shades Darker?
Unfortunately, I never had a chance to see the first movie, but I definitely expected to see some, err, “explicit scenes” based on reviews for both movies.
What I didn’t expect? How baller Christian Grey was.
Insane condo overlooking the Seattle Space Needle. Massive private sailboat. Chopper. Fleet of Audi’s. Bodyguards. Bespoke suits. And according to a line in the movie, he makes $24,000 every 15 minutes.
Here’s a brief overview of some of the toys (not the S&M toys) featured so far in both movies, according to an article on Bloomberg.com:
- A white-faced Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronograph ($7,200) and a black-faced Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Co-Axial Chronograph ($26,500)
- Dunhill silver Knot and Rod cufflinks ($991)
- Luxury leather goods—belts, briefcases, travel bags, wallet—all by Yves Saint Laurent (from $375 to $5,975, and then some)
- A fleet comprising S6, S7, and S8 sedans (from $75,500 to $114,900 and up) and a Q7 crossover SUV (from $48,300)
- A v10 R8 Spyder convertible (from $167,000)
- Bespoke suits by designer Mark Bridges
- Custom shirts (from $300) and custom silk ties (from $185)
- Eurocopter EC130’s buttery chestnut brown seats and black Bose noise-canceling headsets (around $3.2 million)
- Flugzeugbau DG-1001 sailplane ($150,000)
- Christian Grey’s penthouse is set in Escala, a building in Seattle where a three-bedroom penthouse sold for $6.2 million in 2013, according to Zillow
And much, much more.
Unfortunately, this fictional character has a lot of personal luggage to go along with those bespoke outfits. According to http://fiftyshadesofgrey.wikia.com:
His biological mother, Ella, was addicted to drugs and worked as prostitute. Her pimp was extremely abusive to both her and Christian. When he was four years old, his mother committed suicide; he was alone with her corpse for four days before they were discovered by police.
For those not familiar with the books or the movies, this plays an integral part in the plot. (And is kind of sucky if you think about it.)
So aside from all this baller-ness and S&M madness, one thing you can learn from fictional character Christian Grey is the following:
It doesn’t matter where you start; you can make yourself into anything you want.
And he chose to be a billionaire who happens to be into S&M.
Gotta follow your dreams!
For more information on Christian Grey and all his toys, you can check out the following websites: