I have been mulling around the idea for this article series for a long time.
Over the past year, we’ve been talking to restauranteurs, club owners and models about the ultimate in men’s style and lifestyle (and have gotten some good information), but I had this strong feeling there was a demographic that hasn’t really been touched by other men’s magazines – the successful club promoter, or the guys behind the velvet rope.
If you think about it – the nature of their line of work makes them the best sources of information on style, nightlife and what the latest and hottest trends are. Additionally, they’re the guys that get you into the most exclusive clubs in town.
Fortunately for me, one of my old friends has been in the business for over 15 years and I have seen him climb up the ranks from party promoter to General Manager to his current position as Director of Nightlife Promotions for one of the premier nightlife organizations in Los Angeles – SBE.
His name is Dave Osokow and for the lack of a better description, he’s rad.
One of the nicest guys you will ever meet, Dave is very familiar with the Los Angeles nightlife scene and we are very fortunate to have him as our first installment of The Gatekeepers: Stories from behind the velvet rope.
We spoke to him about what he is doing now, how he got to where he is, his personal philosophy on style and where he and SBE are headed for the future.
Check out our exclusive interview with Dave below:
Some interesting tidbits about this article:
- Dave is a pro; it just took us one take for every question
- Although Dave didn’t mention it, the best way to get into their clubs is by either getting bottle service or getting there early
- The last time I saw Dave was when he was working at Forty Deuce and he asked me to open up a hidden closet so Ashley Simpson could change
- When I first met Dave he had an MV Agusta, but now owns 5 bikes ranging from the MV all the way to the customized Triumph Bonneville used in the interview
- Everyone that Dave works with seems to love working with him
- We have to claim the Filipino connection; Dante Basco is Filipino, I’m Filipino and we can lay claim that a Filipino led to Dave’s successful career
- I realized that interviews with anyone in the nightlife industry will be performed after 11 pm
Big ups to Dave, his career and the amazing growth SBE has been seeing over the past few years.
For more information about SBE and SBE Promotions, you can visit SBE’s official site at http://www.sbe.com/.