On most occassions, when giving travel advice to the Los Angeles area, I would usually recommend to not stay in the downtown area. Depending on what one’s itinerary is, I would probably recommend staying by the water or staying close to Hollywood to try and catch the nightlife.
There is one gleaming exception to this rule, however – The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles.
If you were to ever drive by the latest incarnation of The Ritz-Carlton series of hotels, you would think it looks like a gigantic glass sail setting due west in the Los Angeles skyline. With the current rennaissance going on in downtown Los Angeles, it is befitting that The Ritz-Carlton become the precious jewel in the setting known as L.A. Live.
Here’s a little more information from The Ritz-Carlton’s official site:
The hotel will feature a 3,400 square foot Club Lounge on the 23rd floor with sweeping views of the west. A small boardroom will be available adjacent to the lounge area, providing meeting space suitable for business meetings. The hotel will have access to nearly 100,000 square feet of meeting and special event space in the Gallery Collection.
Another unique feature of The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles will be a combined Lobby Lounge and restaurant on the 24th floor with windows offering panoramic views of the downtown and surrounding Southern California.
An outdoor rooftop swimming pool and terrace will offer guests of The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles a relaxing retreat from the city below.
Below are also a bevy of places for entertainment and food close to the hotel listed on Ritz-Carlton’s official press release:
The hotel’s location in the heart of the L.A. LIVE project will give guests direct access to a unique collection of entertainment and sporting options, including:
- STAPLES Center – The world’s most successful arena, STAPLES Center is home to five professional sports teams in addition to serving as the premier venue for musical performances, family entertainment and televised award shows, including the GRAMMY® awards.
- NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE – A state-of-the-art 7,100-seat venue for live performances and events, NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE is the new home to two of the most highly coveted awards shows, the ESPY Awards and Emmy® Awards, not to mention the upcoming American Idol finale shows.
- Club NOKIA – Expected to host 150 events a year, the 2,200-capacity Club NOKIA will be the perfect venue for emerging acts and cultural shows, while providing excellent space for corporate events and private parties.
- ESPN Broadcast Studios and ESPN Zone – The broadcast studios will be home to a number of live shows and original programming, and the ESPN Zone is the nation’s most popular sports-themed restaurant and bar.
- The GRAMMY® Museum – Developed by The Recording Academy (NARAS) and AEG, the museum will offer visitors a one-of-a-kind museum experience paying tribute to music’s heritage and rich cultural history.
- Conga Room – The legendary venue will relocate from its mid-Wilshire location to open at L.A. LIVE. The intimate performance venue is owned by a group of high-profile celebrities, including Jennifer Lopez and Jimmy Smits.
- Lucky Strike Bowling Center – In addition to 18 bowling lanes, the popular Lucky Strike will feature a café, bar, billiard tables, darts and private function rooms.
L.A. Live currently offers guests a multitude of dining options from the city’s top restaurateurs, including:
- Katsuya – The sushi and robata bar concept created by nightlife guru, Sam Nazarian
- Wolfgang Puck – A California cuisine concept brought to life by the culinary icon himself
- Rosa Mexicano – A fine dining concept of traditional and nouvelle Mexican food in a contemporary David Rockwell designed space
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar – Located on the bustling corner of Olympic Blvd. and Figueroa St., the well-known steakhouse will occupy approximately 7,250 sq. ft.
- The Farm of Beverly Hills – An American restaurant from one of Beverly Hills’ most popular operators that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner
(Mmmm. I love Fleming’s.)
So the next time someone asks me for advice on where to stay when visiting Los Angeles, I am definitely going to add The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles and watching a Laker game as one of my go-to recommendations.
For more information or to make reservations online, you can visit the official Ritz-Carlton website.